Stile Antico Youth Consort
The Stile Antico Foundation is delighted to host a non-residential summer school for talented young singers this August. Over the course of three days, the singers will receive coaching from members of Stile Antico with the aim of developing their ensemble skills, musical interpretation, and knowledge of Renaissance repertoire.
Who is the course for?
This course is open to singers who already have experience of choral singing, and who are competent sight-readers. Our suggested age range is 16-22, but we will also consider applications from singers outside this age range.
The course is aimed at:
- singers who enjoy singing in small ensembles, or who have significant experience singing in larger choirs but would like to try singing as part of a smaller group;
- singers with an interest in learning about Renaissance music;
- singers who wish to study and rehearse music in considerable depth, and to explore a collaborative approach to music-making. The group will develop its own musical interpretation, to which all participants will be invited to contribute.
Why study with Stile Antico?
We believe that ensemble singing is most enjoyable when all singers have the opportunity to contribute to musical interpretation. It is most rewarding when singers develop a real sense of group cohesion, and increase their awareness of what other singers are doing. We want young singers not only to improve their vocal technique and accuracy, but to develop a wide range of musical skills, and to enjoy ensemble singing like never before!
We also want to demonstrate the full richness of the repertoire we perform. Many people sing through Renaissance works without paying much attention to the text or emotions behind it. They may not know anything about the historical context in which the piece was written, or the way in which compositional techniques have been used to express the text. We believe Renaissance music is worth exploring in more detail, and we hope that by studying with us, you will learn to love it as much as we do.
Where and when?
Dates: 1st-3rd August 2018
Timings: 10am-5pm each day (lunch will be provided)
Venue: St. John’s Church, North End Road, Fulham, London SW6 1PB
The cost of the course is £150. We do not wish for any singer to be excluded through inability to pay, and we have a limited number of bursaries available for those who cannot pay the course fee. If you would like to be considered for a bursary, please indicate this when you apply for the course.
How to Apply
Please write to email@example.com, giving the following information:
- why you would like to attend the course
- details of your previous choral and vocal experience
- an indication of your sight-reading ability
- details of at least one referee (e.g. singing teacher, choir director or school music teacher)
Please feel free to send an audio recording of your singing if you have one. This needn’t be top quality – a decent-quality phone recording will do!
Applications should be received by 30th June. Wherever possible we will confirm your place within a few days, but sometimes we will need to wait until we receive more applications from other voice parts so that we can be sure of having a balanced choir.